layout

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Italian Wedding Soup

I adapted this recipe by Iowa Girl Eats

Ingredients:

1 T. olive oil
1/4 cup white onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper
1 bag baby spinach
2 eggs
2 T. Parmesan cheese
48 oz chicken broth
1/2 cup small pasta (I used ancini di pepe-found it at Fry's)
1/2 lb mini meatballs, cooked

Meatball Ingredients: (makes more than you need) Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker New Cookbook

1 lb ground bulk Italian sweet sausage
1/2 cup Italian style bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup plus 1 T. milk
1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 T. dried minced onion or 1/4 cup chopped fresh onion
1 large egg

Mix meatball ingredients and shape into mini meatballs about the size of your finger tip.  I used a small melon baller to measure the meatball size.  Place on a baking sheet and set aside.

Heat olive oil in a big soup pot on medium low heat.  Add onion, a dash of salt and pepper and saute for 3-4 minutes, or until onions are translucent.  Add garlic and cook for an additional minute, stirring constantly.

Add entire bag of spinach to the pot, stir to coat with oil, add a couple more dashes of salt and pepper and allow spinach to wilt and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.

When spinach is cooked, add chicken broth to pot and bring to a boil.

Meanwhile whisk eggs and Parmesan cheese together in a small bowl.  Set aside.

When broth has come to a boil add mini meatballs and pasta and cook for about 8 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.

Stream egg and cheese mixture into soup and stir gently in a circular motion.  Allow egg to cook for an additional minute.  Serve.

*Note, when I made my soup for cooking club I made it that afternoon and let it cool before I put into the fridge.  After it had cooled the pasta had soaked up all the broth.  When I reheated later I added more broth until it was the desired consistency I liked.  I thought I should add this in case it changed the flavor somehow and you want to try it that way. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment